Quasi-optics and Millimetre-wave/THz Antennas and Devices
Since the late 1980s, the Group has built up a considerable reputation for work in millimetre-wave antennas, both in measurements and theory. The group was subcontracted to undertake the measurements for both the engineering and flight models of the Advanced Meteorological Sounding Unit B (AMSU-B), a mm-wave radiometer designed to monitor temperature and humidity in the upper atmosphere. These were completed successfully and the system is now in operation. With the increasing need to move up in frequency, there are many aspects of Microwave research that need to be explored and advanced.
The group was a major contributor to an ESTEC study entitled "Millimetre Wave Antenna Testing Techniques" concerned with the measurement of large spacecraft antennas designed to operate up to 1.5 THz. The outcome of this project led to a further area of research and the development of a new millimetre-wave antenna measurement system supported by EPSRC. Moving to the small scale, we believe that one of the next major advances in millimetre and sub-millimetre wave antennas will be the integration of arrays of active antennas on a single silicon, or GaAs, substrate. This technology is especially well-suited for sub-millimetre/millimetre frequencies, which are the most promising bands for future communication links, Wireless LAN, space scientific and earth observation instruments and other applications, such as automotive collision avoidance radar. The group is presently active in this area, aided by the support of ESTEC.
Our recent work related to quasi-optics at mm-wave and TH led to the following research activities:
Powerful THz quasi-optical (QO) continuous wave (CW) sources
QO CW THz Sources. It is the recently EPSRC funded project on creating a powerful THz source using an array of non-linear antennas combined with multipliers. One of the major features is a utilisation of light sensitive semi-conductors (in collaboration with SPA) to control frequency selective surfaces and fine tuning of the system instead of conventional dielectrics.
Design and development of QO passive and active systems for mm and sub-mm wave systems
Our group has been involved as a sub-contractor (other collaborators include such names as RAL, Queen's Belfast, Astrium UK) in the recent ESA activity on design and prototyping of a quasi-optical network for mm-wave sounders, which will be a part of the next generation of meteorological satellites. Activity includes design of many QO elements such as feeds, mirrors and a network as a whole.
Effective THz emission and antennas (in collaboration with Russian Academy of Science)
This work is concentrating on physical parameters characterisation, mainly performed in our THz lab and, partially, in SPA. Materials under consideration include new types of semiconductors and semiconductors, grown with absolutely novel structural composition. It is very promising research as it is expected to increase magnitude of THz generation at least by order comparing to conventional GaAs crystals
Propagation and interaction of non-conventional Gaussian Beam modes in THz and optical domain
This research (in collaboration with King's College) is in its initial stages and makes only first steps but intended to deliver new theoretical knowledge on non-conventional Gaussian modes propagation as well as to investigate a possibilities of abnormal object scattering illuminated by such modes from optical to microwaves domains.
Monolithic Millimeter-Submillimeter Wave Active Conical Horn Antenna Arrays
The main objective of the work was to characterise and implement a monolithic active conical horn antenna array for millimetre/submillimetre wave imaging applications. Imaging arrays can be used as millimetre wave cameras that allow one to see through human clothing for concealed weapon detection, as well as radio astronomy instruments for all weather conditions. For some time now, researches have been very active in California Institution of Technology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor and TRW in USA. The work in UK started in late 90s with a project partially funded by ESTEC at Queen Mary, University of London. This fast stream fund has allowed that the innovation is continued in this area. In addition, the project has helped more novel approaches developed on a local distorted nonorthogonal Finite Difference Time Domain (FDTD) method, to strengthen and expand the UK position in this field.
Highlights and Research Outcomes
We recently (May 2016) organised and hosted the EPSRC-funded one-day Workshop on "THz Sources for Security, Non-Destructive Testing, Communication and Earth Observation Applications". Presentations from the event are now available.
Selected Research Grants and Projects
- 2013 EPSRC EP/K038125/1 Active Quasi-Optics for High Power THz Science £465,158
- EPSRC Research Grant, GR/R16945/01(P), Starts: 03/05/01, Ends: 02/05/2004, Value: £66,950
- Monolithic Millimeter-Submillimeter Wave Conical Horn Antenna Arrays, EPSRC (2001.4 - 2004.5)
Selected Recent Publications
2017 Journal Papers
- Oleksandr Sushko; Melusine Pigeon; Robert S. Donnan; Theo Kreouzis; Clive G. Parini; Rostyslav Dubrovka, “Comparative Study of Sub-THz FSS Filters Fabricated by Inkjet Printing, Microprecision Material Printing, and Photolithography”, IEEE Transactions on Terahertz Science and Technology, vol. 7 (2), pp. 184-190, 2017, DOI: 10.1109/TTHZ.2017.2662582
- Melusine Pigeon; Oleksandr Sushko; Robert S. Donnan; Theo Kreouzis; Clive G. Parini; Hui Wang; Byron Alderman; Peter G. Huggard; Rostyslav Dubrovka, “From simulations to measurements: prototyping an antenna for non-linear applications at sub-THz frequencies”, IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, vol. 11 (3), pp. 304-309, 2017, DOI: 10.1049/iet-map.2016.0392
- O. Sushko; M. Pigeon; T. Kreouzis; C. Parini; R. Donnan; R. Dubrovka, “Low-cost inkjet-printed FSS band-pass filters for 100 and 300 GHz”, 10th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP) 2016, pp. 1 - 3, DOI: 10.1109/EuCAP.2016.7481780
- M. Pigeon; T. Kreouzis; C. Parini; R. Donnan; R. Dubrovka, “Improving Harmonics’ Generation by “zeroing- Stubs” in a Slot-Ring Antenna” ”, 10th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP) 2016
- C. Parini; R. Dubrovka; S. Gregson, “Computational Electromagnetic Modelling of Compact Antenna Test Range Quiet Zone Probing: A Comparison of Simulation Techniques”, 10th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP) 2016
- M. Pigeon; O. Sushko; T. Kreouzis; C. Parini; R. Donnan; R. Dubrovka, “Higher harmonic generation: Coupling two radiating elements at two different frequencies”, LAPC, November 2016, DOI: 10.1109/LAPC.2016.7807618
- O. Sushko; M. Pigeon; T. Kreouzis; C. Parini; R. Donnan; H. Wang; B. Alderman; P. Huggard; R. Dubrovka, “Investigation of frequency-tripling performance of Schottky diode based multennas to 0.3 THz”, IRMMW-THz, September 2016
- M. Pigeon; R. Donnan; T. Kreouzis; C. Parini; R. Dubrovka, “Recent advances in low THz technology”, IET Colloquium on Millimetre-wave and Terahertz Engineering & Technology 2016, March 2016
- C. Parini; R. Dubrovka; S. Gregson, “Optimizing a CATR Quiet Zone using an Array Feed”, AMTA 2016
- A. Andy; J. W. Kneller; R. Dubrovka; T. Kreouzis; R. Donnan ,“Antenna Array Control via Integrated Optically-Activated Organic Semiconductor for S-Band Applications”, EuMW, October 2016
2016 Journal Papers
- M. Pigeon; O. Sushko; R. Donnan; T. Kreouzis; C. Parini; H. Wang; B. Alderman; P. Huggard; R. Dubrovka, “From Simulations to Measurements: Prototyping an Antenna for Non-Linear Applications at Sub-THz Frequencies” , IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, in Press
- C. Parini; R. Dubrovka; S. Gregson, “Computational Electromagnetic Modelling of Compact Antenna Test Range Quiet Zone Probing”, ACES Express Journal, Vol. 1, No. 3, March 2016, pp. 92-96.
- O. Sushko; M. Pigeon; R. Donnan; T. Kreouzis; C. Parini; R. Dubrovka, “Comparative study of sub-THz FSS filters fabricated by Inkjet printing, micro-precision material printing and photolithography”, IEEE Trans. On THz Science and Technology, in Revision
- O. Sushko, J. Qiu, R. Dubrovka, R. W. Pickersgill and R. S. Donnan “Sub-terahertz spectroscopy as a probe for protein stability in ionic environment”, IRMMW-THz Conference, 23-28 September 2015, Hong Kong, China.
- Andy, A.; Dubrovka, R.; Kreouzis, T.; Donnan, R., “An optically controlled phase shifter for antenna array beam steering”, Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 2015 9th European Conference on, Lisbon, 2015
- M. Pigeon, R. Donnan, R. Dubrovka and T. Kreouzis, ”Accelerating Frequency Selective Surface Simulations: An Equivalent Circuit Method versus Computational Electromagnetics Software - Limits and Further Developments”, Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 2015 9th European Conference on, Lisbon, 2015
- M. Pigeon, R. Donnan, R. Dubrovka, T. Kreouzis, H. Wang, B. Alderman, P. Huggard, “A Planar Quasi-optic THz Source : The Multenna”, Antennas and Propagation, International Symposium on, 2015
- C. Parini; R. Dubrovka; S. Gregson, “CATR Quiet Zone Modelling and the Prediction of “Measured” Radiation Pattern Errors: Comparison using a Variety of Electromagnetic Simulation Methods”, AMTA 2015.
- C. Parini; R. Dubrovka; S. Gregson, “Compact Range Quiet Zone Modelling: Quantitative Assessment Using a Variety of Electromagnetic Simulation Methods”, LAPC 2015
- Sushko O, Dubrovka R, Donnan RS (2015). Sub-terahertz spectroscopy reveals that proteins influence the properties of water at greater distances than previously detected. Journal of Chemical Physics vol. 142, (5)
- K. Vytovtov; S. Zouhdi; R. Dubrovka and V. Hnatushenko “The Terahertz Controlled Duplex Isolator. Physical Grounds And Numerical Experiment”, Int. Journal of Microwave Science and technology, Volume 2016 (2016), Article ID 1468508, 7 pages
- O. Sushko, R. Dubrovka, R. S. Donnan “Investigation of hydration shell thickness and electromagnetic field absorbance of solvated protein molecules in the sub-THz frequency domain” IET Colloquium on Millimetre-wave and Terahertz Engineering & Technology, Liverpool, UK, 2014
- Ageyskiy, A.E.; Tyshetskiy, Yu.; Iorsh, I.V.; Orlov, A.A.; Dubrovka, R.; Vladimirov, S.V.; Belov, P.A.; Kivshar, Yu.S., “Theoretical and experimental study of guided modes of the wire medium slab”, Advanced Electromagnetic Materials in Microwaves and Optics (METAMATERIALS), 2014 8th International Congress on, 2014, pp.52 - 54
- Vytovtov K., Dubrovka R., “Frequency Discriminator Of Terahertz Domain”, Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 2014 9th European Conference on, 2014
- M. Pigeon, R. Donnan, R. Dubrovka, T. Kreouzis, H. Wang, B. Alderman, P. Huggard, “Towards development of a room-temperature, continuous-wave, high-power THz source”, Photon 2015, London, UK
- Ovsianyk, Yu.A., Dubrovka, F.F., Dubrovka, R.F., “Analysis of dielectric loaded hybrid mode coaxial horns”, Radioelectronics and Communications Systems, Vol. 56 (1), Jan. 2013, Pages 1-19.
- Sushko A, Shala K, Dubrovka R et al. (2013) . Revised metrology for enhanced accuracy in complex optical constant determination by THz-time-domain spectrometry.J Opt Soc Am A Opt Image Sci Vis vol. 30, (5) 979-986.
- O. Sushko, K. Shala, R. Dubrovka, R. Donnan “Analysis of the numerical thickness determination of materials studied by THz-TDS”. J. Phys. Conf. Series, 472 (2013) 012005.
- Ilyashenko G, Al-Safadi R, Donnan R et al. (2013) . A synthesis of a 1,1 '-desymmetrised ferrocene backbone and its facile one-pot double-"click" functionalisation. RSC Advances, vol. 3, (38)
- Belov PA, Dubrovka R, Iorsh I et al. (2013) . Single-mode subwavelength waveguides with wire metamaterials. Applied Physics Letters vol. 103, (16) Article ARTN 161103
- Sushko O, Dubrovka R, Donnan RS (2013) . Terahertz spectral domain computational analysis of hydration shell of proteins with increasingly complex tertiary structure. J Phys Chem B vol. 117, (51) 16486-16492.
- Dubrovka RF, Martynyuk SE, Belov PA, “Practical antenna application of extremely anisotropic materials: reality or fiction?”, Proceedings Of The International Conference Days On Diffraction 2013 (DD). 36-41.
- Sushko O, Dubrovka R, Donnan RS et al. (2013) . Analysis of optical thickness determination of materials by THz-TDS. Dielectrics 2013. vol. 472
- Sushko O, Dubrovka R, Donnan RS (2013) . Interpretation of THz absorption spectra of dissolved proteins using molecular dynamics simulations. International Conference on Infrared, Millimeter, and Terahertz Waves, IRMMW-THz.
- O. Sushko, R. Dubrovka, R. Pickersgill, J. Qui, R. S. Donnan, “Potential of THz Radiation for Examination of Dissolved Proteins” Today’s RF Tomorrow’s Medicine, London, UK, 2013